Present Renovation Projects:
The Board has prioritized two major projects for 2018:
1. Boiler – the purchase of a new 60kw boiler and its relocation from the basement at street-level to the prep room by the kitchen, with associated flue, fittings, pumps, valves pipework and gas supply. The works will require additional alterations within the prep room. The boiler provides central heating for the main body of the house. This major project is scheduled for June 2018.
This project is being funded in large part from the proceeds of our Elvis fundraiser in January, for which the Board are most grateful to organisers Ron and Maggie Taylor and sponsors The Winking Prawn and The Harbour Hotel.
2. Work to the roof over the Town Council offices. Further to the discovery of significant damp on the outer wall, the Board have approved the erection of scaffolding to the far right of the building and across the roof to remove two ancient sky-lights and replace them with tiles. Whilst the scaffolding is in place, the chimneys will be assessed, the forest growing in the roof valleys will be removed and the guttering will be cleared. This work has been scheduled for October 2018.
Cliff House Trust have the good fortune to be receiving funding in 2018 from community schemes offered by both Co-op and Tesco’s. These anticipated funds have been allocated to furniture and soft furnishings at Cliff House. It is hoped that these donations will enable the Trust to replace the worn blinds in the Assembly Hall as well as providing some improved seating within the house and on the terrace.
Recently Completed Projects:
Thanks to support and generous donations from members of the community, the Salcombe Town Council, South Hams District Council and Devon County Council, we undertook the following projects in 2017.
- Complete redecoration of the front façade
- Complete renovation and refurbishment of windows and exterior glass doors on the middle floor, including the Library
- Re-levelling of balcony paving on the middle floor
- Replacement of garden fence and gate
- Replacement of chimney liner in Yacht Club bar
- Replacement of downpipe by front door
- Patching a hole in the roof which resolved a long-standing leak in the library ceiling
- Completion of vital repairs to the lightning conductor (imagine the scaffolding bill!)
- Redecoration of the Assembly Hall
- Redecoration of the Library
- Clearance of the overgrown garden at the back of the house